Ohio State University (2013 - December 2017)
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, GPA: 4.0/4.0
Illinois Institute of Technology (2010-2013)
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, GPA:3.80/4.0
Middle East Technical University (2004-2010)
B.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering GPA: 3.56/4.0
B.Sc. in Computer Science GPA: 3.15/4.0
DAS 2D/3D (Webpage)
I am the only developer of DAS 2D/3D, an open-source early design tool for compliant mechanisms. I developed DAS 2D in Java and MATLAB. The software tool have reached users in more than 250 research groups in more than 30 countries. Some of the highlights of the software are:
• Sole developer of the open-source computer aided design tool (~90k LOC) for analysis of compliant mechanisms
• Converted a traditional analysis problem into a nonlinear constrained optimization problem
• Reached users from more than 250 research groups in 30 countries
• Created optimized beam models through regression with analytical beam data that can accurately capture beam behavior
• Analysis with the optimized beam models is ~10 times faster than the commercial products like Abaqus and ANSYS while maintaining 99 percent accuracy
• Developed a lightweight, robust and scalable Java library capable of performing nonlinear unconstrained optimization
• Multithreaded Java kinematics solver can generate millions of coupler curve images in couple of minutes for machine learning algorithms
• Predict ideal mechanism that will trace the user inputted coupler curve using Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow
• Designed a straightforward but powerful graphical user interface for research and classroom use
• Published 7 papers in major journals and conferences
UNCONSTRAINED OPTIMIZATION AND NONLINEAR EQUATION SOLVER (Webpage)
DasOptimization (V1.0) is a lightweight, robust and scalable library capable of solving a system of nonlinear equations and nonlinear unconstrained optimization. Some of the capabilities are:
- DasOptimization implemented two descent algorithms; Line Search and Trust-Region-Dogleg algorithm.
- Analytical gradient, the Jacobian or the Hessian can be supplied but if they are not available, they will be calculated with finite differences.
- DasOptimization can recover from singular Hessian and Jacobian matrices.
- DasOptimization is coded only in Java and therefore, it can be used in Android projects.
For more information, please visit the user guide.
DasOptimization is created for and successfully employed in DAS Mechanism Analysis which is a fast kinematic analysis software for mechanisms.
EJML (Efficient Java Matrix Library) is used for matrix calculations. You need to include or build appropriate .jar files in your project library before running any DasOptimization code.
DasOptimization (V2.0) will include a nonlinear constrained optimizer capable of handling nonlinear constraints.
3D DRIVING SIMULATOR - JavaFX
- Developed a multithreaded high-performance 3D driving simulator running at 100 Hz for the Physiology department of the Ohio State University
- Can measure driver’s attention to the road employing various control algorithms to model different kinds of driving behavior
I developed an instructional geometric modeling tool in JavaFX. The software has following capabilities:
- Create Bezier and B-Spline curves and surfaces
- Doo-Sabin, Catmull-Clark and Loop subdivision surfaces
- Curve Reconstruction
- Generate Voronoi diagram and Delaunay triangulation
GitHub page will be available soon.
CANTILEVER BEAM ANALYSIS (Webpage)
This program with a simple GUI solves the exact Euler–Bernoulli beam equation numerically as a boundary value problem. The analysis takes approximately 30 ms in a standard laptop computer.
Intermediate GUI Tutorial (Webpage)
This package is a graphical user interface tutorial demonstrating intermediate capabilities of MATLAB. It can be used as an initial template to build professional, fully interactive user interfaces.
Turkkan - Vural Material Model (Webpage)
We investigated the superior ballistic properties of Al2139-T6 aluminum alloy. We conducted many experiments in quasi-static region and high strain rate region via Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar. Using the data, we developed a semi-empirical constitutive material model.
Part Time Computer Engineer - Turkish Aerospace Industries
- Worked in building a flight management system for C-130 Aircrafts
- Converted flight manuals and charts to Java subroutines
Part Time Web Developer - E-Kalite, Turkey
- Worked as a backend developer to create a web page for an international knowledge management company (PharmaCircle).
Turkish Student Association of Ohio State University
- Public Relations (2014 - 2015)
IIT Turkish Student Association
- Vice President (2010- 2013)
Illinois Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering Department
- Teaching Assistant of "Mechanics of Solids I" Fall 2010
- Teaching Assistant of "Mechanics of Solids II" Spring 2011
- DAS-2D: A concept design tool for compliant mechanisms - Mechanical Sciences
- Towards Computer Aided Design and Analysis of Spatial Flexure Mechanisms - ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering
- Compliant Mechanism Design Through Topology Optimization Using Pseudo-Rigid-Body Models - ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering
- A Software for Kinetostatic Synthesis of Compliant Mechanisms - ASME 2015 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering
- A Unified Kinetostatic Analysis Framework for Planar Compliant and Rigid Body Mechanisms - ASME 2014 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering